Thursday, August 10, 2006

Update on allowances

Well, we had our first shopping trip since the boys started getting an allowance. Naturally, I forgot to have them bring along their spending money. In fact, I had completely forgotten about the allowance thing (hey, give me a break...I've been sick, but that is a whole other post...)

We were at the mall. While we were eating, Jake announces that he wants to go on the carousel. First, I responded with my usual "No." Then, later in the meal, Josh said he wanted a quarter for a piece of gum. Before I could respond, he said, "I wish I had my allowance with me". Then, the lightbulb went off. I told both boys that I would loan them the money to do what they want, as long as they paid me back as soon as we got home. Josh accepted his borrowed quarter and headed to the gumball machine. I asked Jake if he wanted to borrow a dollar for the carousel. He thought for a moment, then decided against it. An AHA! moment.

After we had walked through the mall a little bit, Jake saw a vending machine with Pokemon figures in it. He decided to borrow a dollar for that. He was pleased with his purchase, and promptly paid me back when we got home. It will take some time, but I think they both will consider their purchases wisely.

So, the next day, as we headed out to run errands with DH, both boys grabbed their wallets on the way out the door. Amazing how fast they learn.

No comments: